Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I haven't been good about posting

OK, so I started pretty strong with the whole blog thing. The whole idea was to chronicle our experiences here at Riverside so folks could follow along, and we would have some memories. We still have our memories, but my blog is way behind. Here's my first attempt to catch you up.

We had a great first "What's It Really Like" event. The theme was autism, and our guest was Dr. Laura Klinger from the UA psychology department. The turnout was great - at least 50 people jammed the Riverside RCC "living room." I also spoke, sharing some of our experiences as Sam's parents. The most meaningful part of the evening for me was a young woman who told me she learned a lot about autism that night. She is a nursing major, and I'm sure she will see plenty of folks with autism as she progresses through her career.

We've also started our "open apartment" hours on Wednesdays from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. We're here to chat, advise or just hang out. We're propping our hallway door open, and we're very excited and proud of our cat Pearl for not trying to run down the hall. I have decided to make a vow to update the blog every Wednesday night as I'm sitting here thinking about being Faculty in Residence.

No comments:

Post a Comment